Continuum Performance Center

Friday, January 1, 2016

From Player to Coach

My path into the world of strength and conditioning is a bit unconventional compared to most. My path is far from straight. I started as an athlete, went to school for business, became a coach and recently discovered a passion for strength and conditioning.  When I think about why, I cannot help but think of this quote by Muhammad Ali -- “The fight is won or lost far away from witness – behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” 

For me, it is all about the process, not just the result. There’s no better feeling than working your ass off to get the result you want and being satisfied with your effort. How an athlete handles being pushed to his limits in a workout or practice will tell you a lot about a person’s character before they ever step onto a field. Athletes often forget how important the process is when trying to achieve their goals; to be successful, they need to have the drive to compete day in and day out. Not only during games but in the gym and during practice. As an athlete, I knew it was up to me to put in the work. As a coach, it is my job to make sure each athlete has the opportunity to be successful while pushing them to be their best. 

A strength and conditioning coach is all of that wrapped into one. A strength and conditioning coach plays a huge part in the process and path to success. Yes improving the physical capabilities of your athletes is enormous, but the real power comes from your ability as a coach to bring a team closer together while pushing them beyond limits they ever thought possible. It is awesome to watch an athlete or a team after a workout in which they gave you everything they had to get better. What could be more gratifying than watching student-athletes reach their goals and knowing you played a part. 
Being a former athlete and a coach, I know what it takes to be successful. I can use all of the tools I learned as an athlete and coach every day as I transition more and more into the world of strength and conditioning. The fact that you can push someone to be better and make a difference is someone’s life is very gratifying. It is why I am enjoying every moment as strength and conditioning coach and looking forward to what 2016 has in store. 

-- Wiltey

No comments:

Post a Comment