Continuum Performance Center

Monday, September 1, 2014

Kona or Bust Week 6: You Are What You Eat!

I’ve mentioned several times throughout my posts that I’ve taken a huge interest in what I’m eating while I train for the Ironman. I’ve also mentioned that when the time was right I’d share it all with you. I can’t think of a better time than now as I prepare physically and mentally for the 70.3 World Championships this coming weekend and how HUGE a role FOOD will play.

First, let me start by saying that I didn’t think that I was a bad eater, and I’ll hold true to that even now. The big difference between then and now, other than 140.6 daunting miles and months of preparation, is how I look at food. Food is more than just eating to enjoy. Food is my fuel. By taking the time to plan, prepare, combine, and time each meal I have been able to make it through the last few months feeling pretty good. Tired, yes, but not run down and shoving my face with crap to get through the day.

Second, NONE of this would have happened if it weren’t for my Health Coach, Krystal Say, guiding me through the world of clean eating and food combining. Krystal is an incredibly talented woman who is a Certified Health Coach, Fitness Coach, TRX Senior Instructor, and Yoga Master Trainer. She is so full of information I’d leave our sessions with my head spinning from the knowledge she had just dropped on me. I whole-heartedly encourage anyone who wants to re-evaluate their way of looking at food and fueling to contact Krystal. IMMEDIATELY! :)

Third, most of what I’ll take you through is what works for ME! Krystal and I went through a pretty extensive 2 week period of food journaling, writing down my feelings (blah!), and rating hunger levels pre and post meals. Based on MY responses Krystal created a template of what my day’s  meals would look like. Feel free to give what I do a whirl if you want somewhere to begin, BUT as with all “individualized plans” this has been tailored to work for ME around MY training. 
----
Before plugging away on my computer I took a few minutes to write down everything that I’ve learned since working with Krystal. The amount of information was extensive. Far too much for a blog post. I narrowed the page long list down to 6 of what I thought were the most important points.

1. Food Combining – This was the topic of our very first conversation. Krystal told me that there were rules as to how proteins, carbohydrates, fats, startchy vegetables and non-startchy vegetables should be combine; all done in an effort to allow for good digestion and ultimately better food choices. I’ve always been a rule follower, but this was a completely new concept. The rules are not exactly hard and fast but provide you with a lay out to work from. I spent the better part of 2 weeks staring at my food combining chart while preparing my food until it became a new way of thinking. Nothing worth doing is easy but take into the few rules below and consider how you’d feel after eating this way for a few weeks. I think you’ll be surprised.
Rule #1 – Carbohydrate and proteins should not be eaten together. As the carbs and proteins hit the stomach at the same time for digestion the enzymes required to break down each are very different. While one is being taken care of the other is sitting, hanging out….fermenting. Think about the last time you felt bloated. Gross right? Nobody wants to feel that way, especially when training for an Ironman.
Rule #2 – Non-Starchy vegetables combine well with everything! For example, cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, zucchini, etc! Good rule of thumb, fill your plate with a plethora of veggies. I’ve eaten more grilled veggies with a protein this summer than EVER before. In years past a carbohydrate would take the place half of the vegetables I’m eating now. I don’t miss the bread, or the rice, or the pasta because I’ve found ways to get those in at some other point throughout the day. If I’m still hungry I eat more protein and veggies.
Rule #3 – Fats. Eat them, but make sure they are the good kind. I’m talking about nuts, avocados, coconut, olives. Monounsaturated Fats. Not only will good fats make you feel satisfied but they are also provide antioxidants that are critical to your immune health while training.
Rule #4 – Fruits should be eaten alone. I know, it’s crazy! In fact rule #4 could be broken down into subcategories based on the type of fruit you’re eating and it’s acidity level. Again, it’s all based on digestion and how your body responds. I’ve learned to snack on a piece of fruit 20-30minutes before I eat a meal or when I head out the door in the morning to walk the dog. Believe it or not the simplest rule of all is probably the hardest for me to do.

2. Meal & Snack Organization – If the food combining rules weren’t challenging enough for me to follow I now had to consider my workouts for the day, when I would be doing them, and when I would need to have a carb or protein based meal. As I mentioned I spent a several weeks journaling my food intake using the food combining rules and making note of how I felt before, during and after each meal. I also noted my workout schedule and body response. It was a lot of work but the hard work and effort allowed Krystal to create an individualized template of how I would set up my meals for the day. Here’s what we came up with

  • Pre-Workout/Early Meal – protein shake (vegan based protein)
  • Workout #1– 60-90mins
  • Breakfast – Carbohydrate based (75% CHO:25% PRO) This is a decent size meal.
  • Snack 1  - Carbohydrate based if I have another workout within a few hours or Protein based to help aid in recovery from the first workout.
  • Lunch – Carbohydrate based (75% CHO:25% PRO) to fuel for next workout and sustain hunger throughout the rest of the day.
  • Workout #2 – 60-120min (schedule dependant)
  • Snack 2 –Protein based to help aid in recovery from my second workout or as done for snack 1 a carb based snack if I have another workout still to come.
  • Workout #2 – 60-120mins (schedule dependant)
  • Dinner – Protein based (25% CHO:75% PRO). Limit the amount of food if eating late to allow for proper digestion as well as limiting sugary carb intake, which will be stored as a fat rather than used as an energy source.


3. Preparedness – All of this takes work. Lots of work. Learning how to eat a different way and accept a new set of “rules” doesn’t come overnight. The way you shop has to change. The food in your fridge and pantry has to change. The way you look at food changes too. Training for an Ironman is consuming. Having a job, pets, a family, friends all take time too. In order to give all of yourself to everything that is important to you, you have to be prepared. Every Sunday for the past few months I’ve made the drive to Whole Food to do my grocery shopping. I want the best selection of food choices possible. Upon returning home I start organizing, prepping, preparing, and packing for the week to come. A few blogs ago I wrote about how time and effort are the cost and more often than not people are cheap. In order to make THIS change stick you have to be willing to make the time and put in the effort. Be prepared for the week. Don’t just think about your training schedule; think about how your meals are going to work around each workout to fuel you through your day. Trust me it’s worth it.

4. Superfoods – Eat them. Everyday! 3 of the biggest that Krystal has asked for me to incorporate into my diet: Chia Seeds, Hemp Seeds, and Coconut Oil. I like to tease Krystal and tell her that the first two are hippie food. Really? Hemp Seeds? I like them and they have crap-ton of protein, essential fatty acids, and antioxidants. So there you go. Coconut Oil is for the beautiful people…or so the label reads. It’s yummy and good for me so I’ll eat that too. Don’t forget your Greens! Greens have found their way into my diet more than usual. Mainly spinach. Throughout the day I try to get down a Green Smoothie with spinach as the base. I’m not gonna lie, somedays it goes down easier than others. Just saying. Not all transitions are smooth.

5. Eat Real Food – I’ve tried really hard to make all of the food I consume throughout the day. I only grab a bar or shake if I know I’m not going to be able to eat a prepared meal or snack. Krystal has tried even harder to drive home that a bar is not a meal, nor should it be considered one. It should be considered a supplement and only that. When you have the option to eat a great piece of grilled chicken or fish with grilled veggies why go with a processed bar? There are many brands out there that are “organic”, “raw”, and with a “non-GMO” label but does that really beat something that has been prepared exclusively by you with food you selected and bought. I don’t think so. Again, it takes time and effort but it’s worth it!

6. Recognizing Hunger – The last point that Krystal and I just recently talked about was recognizing hunger. Over the last few weeks I’ve found myself grabbing anything I can get my hands on because I’m “hungry”. I put hungry in “quotes” because I’m really not hungry. I’m tired. As the training volume has increased my level of fatigue has also risen. In an effort to combat the fatigue I’m eating. This is where the all important brain/gut connection comes into play and learning to “tune in” to HOW my body is reacting and WHY. Is my body really hungry? Am I just tired? Am I nervous or anxious about a race or workout? Once I can figure out what the answer is I can find a solution. Food is not always the answer. Sometimes it’s sleep. Sometimes it’s just making sure I drink enough.

Four pages later I’ve barely scratched the surface of what Krystal and I have been working on. I will tell you whole-heartedly the time that we have spent together has been VERY informative and VERY enlightening. I view food and it’s source in a very different way than before. My grandmother likes to call what I’m doing as my Broccoli Diet. Any drastic change takes getting used to and educating others. Clearly, I haven’t done a very good job with her. She’s 80 what do you expect? In no way though do I view my newfound eating habits as a diet. I view it as a way of life.

Sure, I’ve slipped along the way and made mistakes but I’ve learned to recognize when and where I can make those mistakes. The food combining rules are not always in play, especially after long training rides, but I make better food choices now than I ever did before. Treating myself to a Mrs. Murphy’s donut has been subbed out for scrambled eggs with cheese and spinach and whole grain toast. I still enjoy a cold, frosty, adult beverage here and there and indulge with little to no guilt because ultimately you only live once, right?!

The biggest piece to all of this that I don’t want to be lost in the gibberish above is how incredible I feel. I’ve been able to train, recover, and turn around to do it all again a few hours later. That's HUGE and due largely to my found nutritional habits…and Krystal!


SK

PS - If you want to get in contact with Krystal let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment