Continuum Performance Center

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Kona or Bust Week 5 – 70.3 World Championships

70.3 World Championships – Mont Tremblant, Quebec

For the first time in many opportunities I had the chance to race in the World Championships of the Half Ironman distance (70.3 miles). When I received the slot in St. Croix it was overshadowed by the craziness of getting a chance to compete in the Kona at the Ironman World Championships. Every day since I eat, sleep, breath and train for Kona. This race I never viewed as my “A” race. I didn’t taper in true fashion 1 to 2 weeks out. I didn’t even get nervous until race morning. I don’t regret going into the 70.3 Worlds with the training attitude that I did, but I do regret not giving it the serious acknowledgement that it deserves. 

My intentions for the race:
·      Stay focused on my training plan for Kona. Last week was supposed to be my biggest volume week to date, but with the race I made a few tweaks in the days leading up to the race.

·      Get my workouts in! I was nervous and fearful of training in a new place, by myself, with foreign roads, a language I can barely speak, and being completely disorientated.

·      Eat Well! No pastries no matter how great they smelled.

·      Take in the scale of the race, the incredible athletes and their egos, all in preparation for Kona.

·      Use race day to put my fitness to a test but no over do it and set myself back. I was asked upon my return from St. Croix how I would manage a Half so close to Kona. My response was, “I don’t know, but it’s too late now.” In the weeks leading up to it I said I’d race the swim and the bike and try to manage an easy run pace. There are a bunch of you out there that are rolling your eyes and laughing because you knew as well as I did that wasn’t going to happen!

·      Use my T1 & T2 prep and race day execution to mentally ease the anxiety of what Kona will bring.

What actually happened:
·      I stayed focused and got my workouts in. The plan was to swim, 40minutes on Friday, ride 2 hours and run 1 hour on Saturday. I flipped the workouts and was VERY glad I did. I also didn’t get a full 2 hours in on the bike. The wind was nasty and blowing me all over the road on a bike course that can only be equated to riding on I-91. Large trucks, crosswinds, and large shoulders do not mix. I was nervous and turned around as soon as I could telling myself the whole time I’d just deal with it on race day.  I am very glad that I met up with Doug Guertin on our way back into town and did the last out and back up Mont Ryan. A great 3-4mile climb that allowed me to make up some time on the ladies in front of me.

·      I ate as well as I could in a place that is full of incredible restaurants and temptations. I’ll admit it, I only had half of a chocolate croissant and chocolate chip cookie in the 2 days leading up to the race.

·      Staying in the athlete village did not allow me to escape the crazies, as I like to call them. The uber triathlete that likes to strut around like they are gods gift to the sport. Their egos and thousands of dollars of equipment do nothing but freak me out. Regardless, I tried to stay as confident as possible in my training and spent as little time in transition and bag drop as possible.

·      The course tested my fitness and I responded well. There was nothing flat about any section of the course except for the swim. And no, I did not take the run easy. It was hard not to find a pace that was comparable to what everyone around me was doing. I felt good so I let myself go. If worse came to worse the finish line was at the bottom of the hill so I’d just roll down if I had to. :)

·      T1 & T2 were great prep. These transitions were nothing like the like smaller tri’s I’ve done or other 70.3 races where all of your crap (and everyone else’s) is stashed around your bike. It was far more civilized. I liked it!

I learned:
·      Everyone racing in BIG EVENTS like this one will be FIT, look FIT, act FIT. But, then again…so am I.

·      There will always be men and women more talented than me. I CAN NOT let the BIG gears, BIG wheels, and BIG egos get to me.

·      Do not accidentally throw my swim goggles in the wash a few days out from the race. Foggy goggles = no visibility and complete trust in the flapping arms in front of me.

·      T1 – do not wear bike shoes to my bike; put them on at the bike. The floor is slippery! Also, remember my race number and bike location. Its helpful not to run 10 bikes passed it.

·      T2 – Pee breaks are a good thing…they help me run faster. ;)

·      Feel comfortable in what I’m putting out (heart rate, effort, speed, pace) but stick to the plan as much a possible. Nutrition especially!

·      A Half Ironman is NOT an IRONMAN. Five weeks from Saturday will be a very different race but I think I’m ready!

To sum it all up I had a great race. I finished with a time of 4:50, good enough for 8th overall in my age group. I was able to stay within myself as much as I could and never felt as if I was tapping myself out too early. In my humble opinion Ironman put on a great race on a very challenging course. The village of Mont Tremblant has a quaint picture perfect European ski village feel. The food was great, especially the post race poutine. The beer was cold and delicious. The people of Tremblant were incredibly supportive and understanding that 4 years of high school French only gets you so far. 

I can not forget to mention the other Cyclonaut teammates that raced this weekend as well. Mary Guertin, Elena Massa, Paul Mikuszewski, and Amy Parent. Without them I would have been a nervous wreck and can't thank them enough for the calming words of encouragement and on course high fives. Elena and I have one more race and I have a feeling we will both do incredibly well!

For all of the Nauts that signed up for the 2015 Mont Tremblant Ironman you are in for a real treat. Who knows, if I have any money left at the end of all of this maybe I’ll be back.

SK



No comments:

Post a Comment