Continuum Performance Center

Monday, September 29, 2014

Kona or Bust Week 2 – Taper

It has taken 18 week to get here but the TAPER is finally on!

I’ve been waiting for it…patiently. I’ve put the time in. I’ve pushed my body and mind to places I wasn’t sure they would ever get to and can now enjoy the last two weeks of low volume training.

To be honest, the taper really started a few weeks ago. I had hit the mental and emotional wall so to speak and though my body was still responding everything else wasn’t. I was cranky, tired, and run down. My once energetic self was dragging ass and having a hard time getting out of the rut. My ability to objectively look at my training plan and make alterations was gone. AlI I could see was lost training time. I smartly handed my program over to a trusted friend and asked for an objective adjustment to the last 3 weeks to my training program. I got a massage. A long overdue, ass, hamstring, quad, and calf kicking massage.

That was the smartest thing I could have done. I feel great. I’ve bounced back. For the first time, in all of the races that I’ve done, I feel ready. Like deep down inside, ready. I know there is nothing else I can do. I have no regrets with my training. I’ve left everything I had to give out on the roads and in the pool. This may all change the minute I see the swim course on the Big Island but I know that will be just the nerves and butterflies talking.

Side note…
Nerves are an important part of racing…or anything that means a lot to you. My first year of high school I was one of two freshmen to make the varsity team. This was a big deal, at least to me and the small NH town I grew up in.  The night of our first home game the team and I were lined up in the hallway waiting to bust through the paper banner. My eyes were as wide as saucers and the what if’s were spinning through my head.  My coach asked me if I was nervous. I stupidly nodded “Yes!” She said, “Good! If you aren’t nervous, Sarah, it’s not worth doing!” That moment stuck, just like all of the other moments I’ve shared over the last 19 weeks. This trip and this race makes me nervous. I want to do well and not just for me but for everyone who has been there for me along the way. Believe it or not it’s the nerves that will get me through the first leg of the race.

Back to the taper…
When the taper begins you’re left with a lot more time on your hands. I’ve occupied that time by reflecting back on how I got to this moment. All of the twists and turns, ups and downs, and friends and family that supported me along the way. I’ve had the opportunity to create a lot of incredible memories through sport and competition. I’ve learned so many valuable life lessons on ball fields and basketball courts; in locker rooms and team van rides. Much more recently I’ve had the opportunity to really see just how far I can push myself mentally and physically. It’s crazy to think that one race can provide you so much perspective.

In the upcoming days I will run my last track workout with a friend who has been there every week in weather conditions that could categorize us as CRAZY! I’ll spend 58 hard minutes on the trainer one last time dripping as I pump my legs round and round. The last long ride/run brick is in the books and I get to look forward to an easy 2 hour ride this weekend. Having put so much of myself into training for Kona it’s sad to see these training sessions go. With that being said, I welcome the taper. It’s purposeful and I need it so that on October 11th when I put the Game Face on…
It’s GO TIME!


SK

No comments:

Post a Comment