Continuum Performance Center

Monday, September 15, 2014

Kona or Bust Week 4: 25 Days & Counting

The count down has officially turned from weeks to days.  I am less than a month away. In fact, Race Day was a month ago Saturday! It’s hard to believe. I’ve spent the last 15 weeks training with laser focus for ONE race. Granted it is THE race of any triathlete’s career but nevertheless the training is starting to take its toll. The last 15 weeks have been more organized, planned, data dependent than any other race season I have trained for. My body is feeling the effect. It’s not sore it’s just tired. Getting out of bed in the morning is rough. Getting my body over the hump of working out takes a little bit longer than usual. My workouts are still solid and I feel ready but I could snap at any second.

It is commonly seen in athletes that put in A LOT of volume, mental & physical preparation, and time to emotionally start to fray. I spent some time thinking back to when this ride to Kona started. It didn’t start in May when I competed in St. Croix Half Ironman. It started in December of 2013 when I started training. As I’ve already mentioned it was never my intention to go to St. Croix to race for a Kona slot. My plan was to race hard, enjoy the time away, and figure out what I’d do next when I got back. Fate took care of what would come next setting me on a 20 week training plan to get me ready for Kona.

With a collective 39 weeks (if I’ve done my math correctly) of training under my belt I can honestly say I haven’t trained this long or this hard EVER. In fact I haven’t ridden my bike this far into September because of my coaching responsibilities. When I say that I’m emotionally tired I hope that whoever is reading this can wrap their head around what I’ve done and how taxing it is to stay on point this long.

My experience isn’t any different than most putting in the time and volume for an Ironman. There is always a point of breaking and typically it’s emotional. This week was my breaking point. I was riding a high after the 70.3 Worlds but as usual I didn’t take into account just how tired I would be after being away for 5 days, driving 10 hours home, and jumping back into training after only an extra day of rest. I found myself feeling more anxious and irritable than usual. I spent the last two days screaming at idiot drivers who were too busy smoking their cigarette butts or texting to notice I have running or riding on their side of the road. I’m not kidding, I was screaming and waving my hands. If idiot drivers weren’t irking me it was the wind, or the holes & cracks in the road, or the fact my torpedo bottle bounced out of it’s cage twice on my long training ride.

I’ve had more “moments” that are out of character that I can only chalk up to the wear and tear of training. I’m close. So close, that I ship my bike to Kona this coming Saturday. I only have to keep myself going only a few more weeks before the taper begins and I toe the line at the Ironman World Championships. My good friend Steve Roulier, 2013 Ironman World Championship Finisher, gave me some advice after we finished our ride on Sunday. “Reflect back on how far you have come and realize that you’re ready. You’re on the top of the world just waiting to compete on the world’s Ironman stage. Enjoy it! Relax when you can and visualize YOUR race.”

I’m not one to sit still long enough to visualize…or relax but I can reflect back on how far I’ve come since I started training in December. I have enjoyed the journey so far, even with my few temper tantrums and mental moments. I will continue to enjoy the time I have left and savor each moment. Who knows if it will ever happen again!


SK

No comments:

Post a Comment