Continuum Performance Center

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Kona or Bust – Week 15 – Weekend FOOD Prep!

Kona or Bust – Week 15 – Weekend FOOD Prep!

Last week I wrote about TIME and EFFORT. Time and effort put into training. Time and effort put into figuring IT all out. Time and effort put into the people closest to me. So of course I’ll follow up last week’s blog with FOOD!

Allow me to explain the progression because sometimes my brain doesn’t always work in the most logical of ways. :)

Time is tight for everyone. I am no exception. Since I started this quest of finishing my first ironman the amount of time I have to do the everyday, simple, mundane things, like grocery shopping and cooking, gets harder to find. This weekend I finally found the time to get to the grocery store. However, since I’ve started working with a Health Coach my eating habits have changed. I need to be far more aware and selective of what I buy and how I put it all together. So a trip to the grocery store isn’t as simple as it once was.

Again, you’re wondering what the hell I’m talking about and why I’m bothering with being so picky with my food.

Ready for it? Here it is. Food is my fuel. Food is going to help me get from one workout to the next and through some of the longest and arduous training weeks I’ll endure. Simply put, I need to be selective. I also owe it to my Health Coach to make sure I follow through with her suggestions. She puts in the time and effort, so should I! 
Shopping list & Recipes

This past Saturday afternoon prior to heading up to Trader Joe’s (which has become one of my new favorite stores) and Whole Foods (already at the top of my favorite stores list) I found a few recipes for the week, created a list, and set off to zip through the isles. Usually I’d grab whatever looked yummy but now I’m looking for and picking up items that are organic, non-GMO, cage free, etc etc… You are what eat so make sure it’s as “clean” as possible. At least that’s what my Health Coach says.

Shopping is exhausting. Putting everything away is even more exhausting. Then there is the pile of dishes in the sink I always mean to do. The actual cooking had to be pushed to Sunday when the sink was empty and ready for more dirty dishes and I had some motivation.

I spent most of Sunday prepping and making food for the week. Yes, the ENTIRE week, because who has time to make dinner? For those of you that have talked with me about my diet (not to be confused with dieting) I’ve altered what I eat and when. My creations on the day stayed within some crazy food combination rules that my Health Coach has me working around.

Why? There’s too much to get into right now. Just know I try really hard not to combine complex carbohydrates with proteins. Fruits are eaten alone. And always make sure I get in a healthy fat with each meal like avocados, nuts, olives. Trust me there’s more and I’ll write about it soon.

Sunday’s To-Do List
The finished product!
Grill Marinated Chicken – 2 split breasts, 4 drumsticks - done
Grill & Stuff Peppers with Brown Jasmine Rice and White Bean Puree - done
Wheatberry Mediterranean Salad - done
Veggie Stir Fry – veggies prepped and stored for quick use – done
Overnight Oats - done
Beet Hummus – NOT done…who forgets to buy lemons when they’re on your list!?
Carrot Coconut Pancakes – Ran out of time. Probably for the best the fridge is full. On next weekend’s to-do list.

Dinner!
The fridge is stocked and waiting for the week ahead. I now have food that I can grab and go. You’ll have to trust me that everything tastes great and will get me from one workout to the next.

If you’re interested in the recipes or more information as to why and how I’m eating feel free to ask!

What are the take away messages from this week’s blog?
  • Time – use it when you have it.
  • Effort – that all depends on you now doesn’t it!
  • You are what you eat.
  • You’re body is a machine; fuel it correctly.
  • Plan ahead and spent a day (or weekend in my case) preparing for the next 5 days. It makes life that much easier.
SK








1 comment: