Continuum Performance Center

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Stop with the buck and give a f*ck.

"Will you donate to ______?"

We are constantly inundated with this all the time. We are all asked by people to contribute to a cause and make a difference. Whether it's for research or a sponsorship, a contribution to a program or saving an animal. Honestly, it's always something. Always... Something. It's ok to admit it - you get tired of being asked as much as I do, I'm just not afraid to say "no".

Personally, I like to give back. A lot. The last blog post I wrote about comparisons and being a better ME. We compare ourselves to others and rather than being inspired we get competitive and jealous. As you're looking to your right thinking all of those things you may convent there is someone on your left saying the same things about you. Wishing they had what YOU have. There is always someone slower, less financially stable, bigger, less intelligent, in need of mentorship, something! You want to feel better about yourself THEN HELP OTHERS!

Why does charitable giving always have to be monetary? People will call and ask us for our money, to buy cookies, shit they even ask us for our blood but never our time. OUR TIME is what is most needed. Human contact and hands on interaction. So where is the disconnect? Do you need to be asked? Well here you go... "Will you help ________ by giving us 2 hours of your time?" Insert whatever might be important to YOU. Trust me, they will take the help. Call the school. Ask them if they need help tutoring for after school programs? Does the art program need help with organizing supplies? Does the food bank need someone to help make or ladle soup this week? You know what - you don't even need an organization. You can grab a plastic bag, stop on the side of the road and pick up trash for 30 minutes. Boom - you gave back!

People choose not to give for a variety of different reasons and that's totally ok! There is no way that we could all support all the causes we our asked to support. We'd all be broke, financially. So what is your motivation for supporting or not supporting? Is it because you're fearful that if you don't give someone is going to assume you're not as well off as you would like them to think? Is it because you just simply don't support the cause or organization? I'll be the first to say there are certain organizations I will not donate too because once their financial records were scrutinized it is mere pennies to the dollar that actually make it to the actual cause and I won't support a corrupt system. So yes. I say "no" quite often. I have chosen the organizations I will support and hold them dear.

I chose to share a variety of these organizations with all of you once a year during the "CPC season of giving". I am so happy with the success of the program and the impact it has made on the community, I'm proud of that. But where I gain the most join is all the things I do that never make it to social media. All the extras that are just mine to experience. It's moments like this that keep us connected, keep us grounded and keep us thankful.

So I ask you this. If you want to make an impact... If you truly want an experience to make a difference for something it can't be monetary! Stop throwing money at the problem and throw yourself, ALL IN! Just give a fuck!

~Sully

No comments:

Post a Comment