Continuum Performance Center

Monday, June 2, 2014

Kona or Bust Week 19 - Fire In Your Hole!

Kona or Bust – Week 19
“Fire in Your Hole!”

Got your attention didn’t I? I thought I might.

Week 20 wrapped up with an unusually long run/hike…a Tough Mudder! I know, I know I’ve got the world’s most important Ironman in a few months why the HELL am I doing a Tough Mudder? I asked myself the same question, but when it comes to obligations and promises you have to follow through. PERIOD!

Top left. Debating whether or not to go down!
I’ll be honest I wasn’t excited to make the trek up to Mount Snow to splash around in the mud and crawl up and over obstacles. I was worried that I’d hurt myself and ruin everything, but in typical fashion once I started my excitement grew and I end up having a blast. I did however charge up with mountain with an imaginary protective bubble around me read to throw a stiff arm if someone got a little to out of control careening down the mountain.  My bubble started small but as my fatigue and everyone else’s rose, the obstacles got a little more crazy, and the mud became deeper and deeper my protective bubble grew. I skipped a few obstacles fearing life, limb, and Kona. I also didn’t feel like waiting 45mins. Just as I’m ready to be done there was the  last and final obstacle…FIRE IN YOUR HOLE. I saw it walking in and was dreading it every since. Picture a waterslide with a vertical drop that propels you through FIRE only to land in a pit of muddy water. I did it. I had no choice. I wasn’t going through the electroshock obstacle. As I climbed to the top I just kept telling myself it would be over in seconds. It was and as much as I hate to say it, it was pretty AWESOME!

The rest of the week I spent trying to stay on a set training schedule despite the weather, lack of energy, and life.  

Monday – Memorial Day and the Annual Vanilla Bean Ride. 75 mile bike, 4 mile Run. Great friends! Good food! Cold beer! J

Tuesday morning - I did speed work with my friend Danielle Meunier. I’m pretty sure she hated my idea to keep the workout on the East Longmeadow bike path rather than the track or shoot off to one of the quieter roads. Regardless, we did it and we’re better for it. Thanks for sticking with me Danielle!
Tuesday Speed Workout
Warm up 10min 60-70% HRmax
20 x 2:00 @75% HRmax with a 30s recovery. This sucked!
Cool Down 5-10min

Wednesday morning – I was not feeling the cold temps and 60% chance of rain. So, I dragged the spin bike down to the varsity weight room at WNE (while I still can) planned out a TRX/Body Weight (suspension trainer & RIP trainer) workout. My lifting partner for the last 8 months, Megan Barry decided to join me, not knowing I’d thrown in the spin bikes. HAHAHA! She now knows why padded bike shorts are essential to cycling.
Wednesday Spin/TRX Combo Workout
30 min warm up – build to 70%
6 Rounds, no rest, just go!
3:30min spin @75%
6 Toes to bar
6 TRX Pistol Squats (each leg)
6 TRX Squat to Y Flys
6 RIP Punch (each side)
6 RIP Flag Raise (each side)
6 Rotational Push Ups (total)
Cool Down = Face plant on floor.

Thursday Evening – I joined the guys for the A Ride out of St. Mary’s with Kevin & Crew! 50+ miles in 2.5 hours says it all. Thanks for the ass kicking gentlemen.

Friday – This is my scheduled day off….but I like to take the group class Fusion at CPC. The class is a TRX Suspension trainer based class with a mix of everything else. It’s challenging but it focuses on ALL planes of movement not just the straight ahead (sagital) that triathletes spend most of their time moving within.

Friday I also reconnected with Krystal Say Owner of Bia Fitness. She is a Certified Health Coach, all around awesome fitness professional and person, and is helping me understand the ins and outs of fueling my body leading up to Kona.  I’ve always been mindful of what I eat but now that my training volume will be going up and life as I know it will be drastically different I need to find better ways to fuel. I’ve met with Krystal twice. The first time a few weeks ago to chat about my training schedule, likes and dislikes, and what I’m not willing to let go off…peanut butter, beer, some bread, and coffee. This week we reviewed food combining rules, free radicals, gastric emptying, and the list goes on. While Krystal was in her glory explaining away the whys and how’s I spent that time trying to wrap my head around the fact that turkey sandwiches will be a thing of the past. Good think I can still eat my peanut butter sandwiches. This topic deserves so much more time and a blog entry or two all to it’s self.  To be continued…

Week 20 totaled around 19-20hrs of training. More than planned for, but when you get an opportunity to ride and train with friends or do something completely insane like the Tough Mudder you have to go for it.

The week ahead, is a RECOVERY WEEK! Despite the long week I just had I’m feeling pretty good and not like I need a recovery week. Recovery is just as important as speed work and long rides so I’ll take the lower volume week. I’ll be wishing they came more frequently soon enough. Let’s just hope I can stick to the plan. ;)

Last but not least, I’d like to send out a HUGE thank you to everyone that has donated to the fundraising page my two college teammates, Liz (deSimas) Schuellein and Andrea Perkins Nerlich, set up for me. Liz informed me this morning that we broke the $2000 mark yesterday! You have no idea how help this is and how grateful I am to have such amazing friends. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

If you're interested in donating the link is below. Please DO NOT FEEL obligated, but if you do donate, know that I will be forever grateful!



-SK




No comments:

Post a Comment