Continuum Performance Center

Monday, June 9, 2014

Kona or Bust Week 18: 2 Words - Seasonal Allergies!

Kona or Bust
Week 18: 2 Words – Seasonal Allergies!

This past week the pollen smog that has floated over Western Mass and much of New England like the Black Smoke from Lost finally got to me. However, the difference between the mysterious black smoke and the pollen is the effect it has on one’s (MINE!) ability to produce a wide array of symptoms: uncontrollable sneezing, water eyes, red dry eyes, scratchy eyes, runny nose, cough, obscene amounts of mucous! The list goes on…

Luckily for me I’m not someone that suffers from allergies on a regular basis. In fact, I’ve self-diagnosed my seasonal allergies. For those of you out there that are affected on a regular basis I AM SO SORRY! I can’t imagine how this spring has been for you and your training. Yesterday, Sunday 6/8, was the worst. As I was out on my long training ride the pollen was so thick I could see it blowing in the breeze. Inevitably, I was a mucous machine producing snot rockets and lugies that my Father would have been proud of and my Mother would have been disgusted by. I was more annoyed that I had to wipe snot off of my face every 2 minutes that somehow managed NOT to find the ground! I finished my ride a pollen and snot covered mess. Neither are very lady like or attractive, but I have more important things to worry about than what I look like after I’m done working out. 

Kona or Bust right!?

This week I’ve struggled with what to write about. My rant about seasonal allergies is 100% truthful and meant to be funny, but that's not what I intended to write about when I decided to do this. I have a bazillion ideas running through my head and find it tough to find the right way to work them in. I’m a bit of a perfectionist. I blame my mother.

I know this, I always want to deliver a message. Whether it be a one that reaches a select few or something that resonates with the masses.

This week my message is this: Strong is the new skinny! I stole this from my friend but it applies to me as much as it does to everyone else. The two of us were having our daily chat via text. She informed me that she had weighed herself and needed to do something about her diet. If I could have reached through and strangled her I would have. I have watched her train with me since September, 3-4x’s a week. She helped push me through workouts that I didn’t want to do and I’d like to think I changed her view of how she sees herself when she looks in the mirror. Well, I had until this week’s text. Regardless of age or gender there are always going to be things about ourselves that we do not like. My friend didn’t happen to like what the scale said. I furiously typed in a response that regardless of the scale she looks amazing and is stronger and more FIT than she has ever been! I’m guessing that the delayed response was her taking a few moments to contemplate how far she really has come. The next text to blow up my phone was…Strong is the new Skinny!

She got it!

Admittedly, I have my moments too. Far to many to go over, but specific to triathlon one place always wreaks havoc on my confidence. Transition. Have you seen a transition area before a race? It’s the most nerve raking part of a triathlon. Everyone is there sizing you up as you prep your bike and lay out your gear. Waiting in line for the porta-potty you hear everyone’s training schedule and crazy pre-race meals. I hate transition! I know I will never look like a true triathlete. Long and lean, little to no body fat. I equate my build to being that more like a tank. Right or wrong it’s how I feel, but I find a way to channel my inner tank and race like one. Get in my way and I will roll over you. True story.

The important thing to remember here is that “strong” is a relative term. Everyone has their own idea of what strong is. And as I mentioned in my first blog everyone should have their own “Kona”. Whatever it is, it’s yours.

OWN IT!

-SK

No comments:

Post a Comment