Continuum Performance Center

Monday, November 10, 2014

You Are What You Eat

I’m baaaack!

This time I’m writing about food; anything and everything having to do with food; all from my point of view. No, I am not a nutritionist, or health coach. I don’t have any formal culinary training. As you may be aware I spent the last 20 weeks training for an Ironman and working with a Health Coach to turn my body into an efficiently fueled machine.  Inside those 20 weeks I learned how to become a REAL FOOD fueled athlete. I learned to look at food in a way that I had never seen it before. It’s my goal with this blog to provide you with insight into my REAL FOOD world.

Eating REAL starts with good decision making at the grocery store. For as much as I enjoy grocery shopping swinging by Fresh Acres at the end of a long day just isn’t as fun when the clock is ticking down to closing time. When the pressure is on and the fridge is empty you've got to have Go To Items that will provide you with high quality nutrition that requires little, to no prep. When zipping around the store be sure to pay close attention to where your produce is coming from and the ingredients within packaged items. I try to buy organic when possible, but if cost doesn’t allow I go for a similar local product. Any pre-packaged items I toss into the cart will have as few ingredients as possible. Less ingredients equals less processing. Low-fat, reduced fat, low calorie items are left on the shelf where they belong. Any product claiming the above have been processed and treated and ultimately turned even less healthy than they started.

Below is my time crunched, go to, shopping list. I’ve had plenty of time to tweak it over the last 20 weeks and know what works best for me and what doesn’t. Think about what’s on your list. What are your Go To Items? How do they compare to what I buy? 

Happy Shopping!
SK 

SK’s GO TO’s
·      Local Apples (Macouns)
·      Bananas
·      Avocados
·      Spinach
·      Baby Carrots
·      Cottage Cheese 4%
·      Hummus
·      Olives – green & black
·      Siggis Yogurt - Coconut, Peach, & Pumpkin are my favorites
·      Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
·      Cage Free or Organic Eggs (price dependent)
·      Sliced Deli meat – Not the best choice, but it’s quick time is limited
·      Quart of High Lawn Farm Whole Milk – Local or Organic
·      Almond or Coconut Milk – Organic or NON-GMO, No Soy Blends
·      Whole Grain Brown Rice Blend
·      Bulk Walnuts & Cashews

·      PEANUT or ALMOND BUTTER (Earth Balance Coconut Blend, Whole Foods 365 Brand, Justin’s Maple Almond Butter, or whatever else I’ve grabbed. Skippy stays on the shelf.)

No comments:

Post a Comment