Continuum Performance Center

Monday, November 17, 2014

The Incredible Edible Egg

I like eggs.

Scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, fried eggs, poached eggs, omelets, and the list could go on.

In the crazy day-to-day approach that I take, despite my best attempts to be more organized, I find myself never having a fridge full of food prepped for consumption at the end of a long day. I do, however, always have EGGS! One of my favorite go-to’s at the end of the day is scrambled eggs with spinach and cheddar cheese, with avocado on the side. It’s simple and nutritious.

Eggs are an easy and convenient source of protein. In fact, eggs are considered to be a gold-standard protein source. One large egg has only 70 calories, 0 carbohydrates, 6g of protein, and only 5g of fat. Some might scoff at the eating of the whole egg, yolk and all, because of the amount of cholesterol contained within. I’ll let you in on a little secret, egg cholesterol isn’t going to cause heart disease. Lack of exercise and poor dietary habits (ie. processed foods!) have a much larger impact.  One large egg has 185mg of cholesterol. The daily intake is recommended at 300mg/day. If you restrict the rest of the crap you eat throughout the day and enjoy a few eggs for breakfast …or dinner, you should be fine! Eggs are much too delicious and nutritious not to be eaten!

Below is a quick recipe of what I created the other night, Vegetable Hash with Eggs and grated Cheddar Cheese. I got the idea from a food blog I was searching through and immediately knew I could throw my entire refrigerator in a frying pan and make it happen.

Prep: Empty refrigerator onto counter. Use whatever you’ve got! I used roasted butternut squash, white sweet potato, roasted beets, red onions, orange and red peppers, and swiss chard.  Chop everything into similar bite size chunks.

Cook: Heat up a few tablespoons of olive or coconut oil over medium high heat to fry up the veggies. I was lucky and had a few vegetables already prepared and waiting for me which cut down on cook time. I’m all about cutting down cook time. Once all vegetables are soft to touch with crispy edges make a small plate and package the rest for another day.

Using the same pan plop a small scoop of olive or coconut oil to fry the eggs in. If I had time and was much more patient I would spend the time to pouch a few eggs. Instead I fried the eggs sunny side up to still allow for the gooey blend of egg yolk and everything else. Before placing the eggs on top of the hash I grated some cheddar cheese over top and freshly ground pepper.

 Eat & Enjoy!

Interested in learning more about eggs? The recipe that I took the liberty to tweak? 

Check out these links.
http://www.incredibleegg.org
http://lemonsandbasil.com/root-vegetable-hash-with-eggs-and-aged-cheddar/

Enjoy,

SK

No comments:

Post a Comment