Continuum Performance Center

Monday, November 24, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving

In the midst of shopping for my next blog I realized time was escaping me and my plan was quickly sliding in the direction of Plan B. I was once an obsessive planner, to the point of having a back up plan for a back up plan. As of late, not so much. Chalk it up to a new job, new hours, a dog that requires walking at un-godly hours, and of course finding time to keep myself as healthy as the rest of you. It’s funny how priorities shift once you’ve meet one life’s goal (finishing the Ironman) and move onto the next (establishing myself permanently at CPC).

Plan A was to provide you with a killer Thanksgiving Dessert that was delicious and semi guilt-free. The deliciousness will have to wait until later in the week. Instead, I’ll provide you with the recipe if you are looking for a new post Turkey treat. I’ll also say, that I am eagerly looking forward to trying this recipe.

Crustless Carmel Apple Pie – Found at my new favorite food blog lemonsandbasil.com


Plan B was honestly an accident. I hadn’t thought about what I would blog about until I started considering what I would have for breakfast Monday morning. Overnight oats have come back into my morning rotation. They are a great way for me to limit the amount of processed grains I eat now that I’m not training for an Ironman, but also give me a satisfied feel to start my morning. Overnight oats are great, but as it gets cold I want something warm. Standing in front of my eyes fixed on the  tube of steel cut oats. Wondering to myself how I could find a way to cook these without having a stare at a simmering pot for 45 minutes it hit me…SLOW COOKER! I pulled my trusty crock-pot out of the cabinet and darted to my computer to find a recipe. Let’s be honest I may have great ideas but I am not the type to throw stuff into a pot and hope for the best.

My search didn’t take me long to find a recipe for Pumpkin Pecan Steel Cut Oats in the slow cooker. The recipe contained items I had in the pantry, thanks to the recipe for the crustless caramel apple pie above. It also had a Thanksgiving feel to it because of the pumpkin. Come on, who doesn’t like pumpkin!?  Warm creamy oats mixed with pecans and pumpkin pie spice. Winner! Added bonus, toss everything into slow-cooker before going to bed and breakfast is ready when you wake up, or in my case when I get back from walking the D.O.G.

I should mention that I didn’t follow the recipe exactly. As much as my perfectionism can consume me, there are times when I feel like a different ingredient might do the trick. Due to the size of my crock pot and Pyrex bowls neither would work together. Instead I melted coconut oil and spread it around the inner portion of the crock to prevent sticking. I also took the liberty of subbing out the brown sugar for my Dad’s own Maple Syrup. I mean really, can you go wrong with using family made Grade A Maple Syrup? I don’t think so.

I found this wonderful pumpkiny deliciousness at the food blog, Kitchen Treaty. Enjoy it on your own or with friends and family on Thanksgiving morning.


Speaking of Thanksgiving, don’t forget to give thanks for all that you have in your life. I had a whirlwind of highs and lows this year but have become a firm believer that things happen for a reason an am thankful for all that has come my way. 

Happy Thanksgiving!
SK


No comments:

Post a Comment