Continuum Performance Center

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Soup

I know I know, I've never really heard of it either, but in response to a spaghetti squash dilemma this is what I came up with as a solution.  I thought it was pretty good.

What I did:
I took a smaller sized squash, cut it in half, scooped out the innards, and roasted it in the oven at 350 about 35-45 minutes.  While the squash was in the oven I took a small onion and a clove of garlic chopped them up and sautéed them on a low heat in some olive oil.  I did it on low heat to try to cook them as much as possible without actually browning or crisping them up, the technical name for it is called sweating.  Food for thought.
After everything was done cooking I combined it all into a pot and added a quart of vegetable stock and let everything simmer for about ten minutes.  From here you have a couple of options, I used a hand-held immersion blender so I was able to blend everything right in the pot (be careful if you do this not to use a non-stick pan, you will scratch it and end up with Teflon in your soup), if you don't have an immersion then a traditional blender works just fine.  Just be careful with a traditional blender not to burn yourself or make a crazy mess.
Once everything is blended up you can put it back into the pot to simmer for a little while longer.  Now, here is where you can pretty much go nuts. Taste the soup and see what you think, odds are it might be a little bland and the addition of salt and pepper may be needed.  What I did was added the S&P but then added some sage, a small "splash" of balsamic, and then when I put it in the bowl to serve I grated some romano cheese over the top.  It was good, actually looking forward to eating the left overs tonight. You can totally get creative with this soup, spaghetti squash doesn't have a huge or distinct flavor so you can put in whatever herbs or spices you like and make it your own.  Have fun!

-MS


No comments:

Post a Comment