Continuum Performance Center

Monday, August 11, 2014

Kona or Bust Week 9 - Rest Week is Over! Time to Start Moving.

This past week I spent 10 amazing hours training. If you read last week's blog you probably picked up on the fact that I was feeling a little bit tired. Okay, a lot. Ten weeks of heavy training has a way of catching up to you. 

After getting through last Sundays 3:30hr ride I took a long hard look at what my training schedule was as well as an absurdly early week of wake up calls. I HAD to make adjustments! I relocated a few workouts throughout the week to better accommodate my schedule and still deliver the desired training effect. I also did my best to get as much time on the Trigger Point equipment as I could to help speed up my recovery throughout the week.

By the time the weekend rolled around my legs were feeling fresh and ready to roll. I was lucky enough to have my brother join me on my ride Saturday as we zipped north along the Connecticut River on VT RT 5. He's only just started to pick up cycling but was never to far behind me. He has come a long way since our last ride a month ago and I couldn't be more proud. I finished the ride with an enjoyable 62 miles and remembered why I love riding so much. The company want too bad either. ;)

Sunday, the Cyclonauts held their annual Team Trial. I joined up with Matt & Elena Musiak, Lida Vannase, Bill Lodi, and Joe Giannetti for the 14 mile course. We didn't win, but enjoyed the few hours of racing, chatting, and eating we spent together. I hadn't seen many of my friends since St. Croix and their Lake Placid Ironman finishes. It's pretty amazing what quality time with friends and family can do to restore your energy and give you the jump start you need to tackle the huge training week ahead.

Yesterday, the 2013 Ironman World Championships were broadcast on NBC to highlight the 2 month mark. When I saw the reminder post on Facebook, I dropped a few curse words at the reality of it all, and immediately felt the butterflies start in my stomach. Is it a coincidence that I start a four week build in my training the week they show last years race? Nope. The big push is on. The miles need to increase. Time in the saddle needs to increase. Nutrition plans need to be tweaked and perfected. Focus on how my body feels and responds to the volume build needs to be spot on. The Half Ironman World Championships will add a bit of a curve ball to all of this but I'm confident that with what I learned from my last Half, and the collective knowledge of the crazy smart people I work and train with managing the training days prior to and after will be no problem. 

The last 10 weeks I have had incredible support from so many of you. I can't thank you enough! The up coming weeks are going to very challenging. Finding the time and energy to get moving knowing I have a big workout in front of me will be tough. Your continued support throughout the next few weeks will help me put one foot in front of the other. Words of encouragement, a kick in the rear to stop procrastinating, company during a workout, or just a high five will gladly be accepted!

SK 

No comments:

Post a Comment