Continuum Performance Center

Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Man Who Lost His Body

One of my last required Kinesiology classes that I am taking here at UMASS is Motor Control. In this class, we learn the ins and outs of how the muscles, neurons, and brain are all connected in our daily function. My lab instructor played this video clip for us from a documentary before furthering our lesson. The full documentary is called “The Man Who Lost His Body.” I can not make you watch this short clip, but I will say you would not regret it. I ask that you to at least think about these questions: How often do you think about being able to roll over and get out of bed when you wake up? To be able to put your socks on, pour your coffee directly into its cup, and walk out the front door into your car? For many of us, the answer is never. Proprioception is so normal to our development that we don’t even realize we have it. This clip shows how the everyday motions we go through without batting an eye, this man has to consciously think about. And I mean every...single….little movement he has to think about. The determination and time that this man exemplifies is remarkable. The next time you complain about having to get out of bed or go for a workout, consider yourself lucky enough that those are even options. Take care of your body and treat it right simply because you are able to. Make your body your machine. I’d say he did. 


No comments:

Post a Comment