Continuum Performance Center

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Don't get fooled by flash


Not too long ago I walked into a William Sonoma and was taken back from it. The organizational design, the clean lines and all the STUFF! How cool everything was and is. There are 11+ different kinds of rubber spoons, the numerous kinds of spatulas, the espresso machines, waffle makers, small stackable containers for various salts and spices and the knifes… man those knifes are beautiful! Then it hit me. There is such a correlation between walking into a well laid out William Sonoma and a performance center.

 
 
You may have all the beautiful expensive toys, gadgets and flatware but can you even fucking cook? I mean seriously? Do you really need any of that? You use the torch for Crème Brule’ or do you just like that you have it? What have you done, read, watched or practiced to become a better cook or dare I say, chef?

 

Take this to our industry (fitness). When someone walks into CPC it does NOT sell itself. Granted this place has come a long way over the years but no one is to be fooled – we put lipstick on a pig.
 
However, I know we know our shit. When it comes to movement execution, the ques and corrective exercise to reinforce proper movement and developing an exercise program specific to the individual and or program we have that on lock down. ½ kneeling posture, neutral pelvis, feed-back vs. feed-forward, anatomy, myofascial techniques, sports specificity, rehabilitate, sets, reps, rest, volume and load. Ya, we get it. Do I think we’re the best? No, but we are striving, clawing and pushing every day to be the best.
 
Spending money on advertisement doesn’t work for us. It never will. We tried. We just have to focus on our craft. On our recipes and making them perfect. The money we could spend in advertisement was reallocated 3 years ago to further enhance our continuing education line item. Everyone on staff gets an annual continuing education budget and they HAVE to use it. It’s a mandatory requirement that you push to be better every day.

“Be undeniably good. No marketing effort or social media buzzword can be a substitute for that.”
–Anthony Volodkin



Will we build this BRAND to one day have a space that looks like above? Yes! We are putting money aside to make our move with the necessary 20% down but a space like this will not come cheap!! It has nothing to do with what’s inside and how many square feet of turf we use. It’s who’s inside and what they are creating and sharing with their consumer/subscriber. It's the amount we will invest in our knowledge, the standard we will hold everyone too that will join this team and number of hours we will dedicate to creating programs you know you can't get anywhere else.

We are in the grind every day. I push myself day in and day out so that I NEVER have to look back and ask “what if”. I will know with absolute certainty I left it out there. I told this team at CPC to that standard and they know it. I don't want something to be right I want it to be perfect. Some may make the statement that perfection is the enemy of good and I will agree with you there. That does not mean for a split second that is where you place your expectations. If you're not in it to be perfect than don't share this kitchen with me.
"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when they put f*ckers on the moon!"
- Mr. 305
 
When and if I ever believe CPC is the best. IF that day comes when I feel like we made it I can guarantee you this – I will never push my team harder or with fiercer intensity. No one likes 2nd place. I hate being here now and once we make our move we're not coming back here. 
Not this day.
 
Not any day.
~Sully
 

No comments:

Post a Comment