Continuum Performance Center

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Now What?

The Bar Has Been Raised. Now What?

If you’re the outsider looking in the assumption is more of the same. If you’re the one who just set the bar, it may not be that simple.

I’m of the opinion that we as a society are always expecting something more and something better. The evolution of technology is a great example. To put it a fitness spin on it think personal records, weight lifted, weight lost, distances covered and the list could go on. Based on performance alone the assumption is that every time you toe the line the result will be the same. It’s not wrong to expect the best and train that way but with that assumption one can put unrealistic expectations on others or worse, on themselves.

I’m sure you know the saying, “You know what happens when you assume…” Well, I’m feeling like a bit of an ass these days, and it's all because I’ve made unfair assumptions and expectations of myself. I’ve registered for some significant late spring, early summer races. I assumed that I could just jump right back into training, and my body would respond as it always has at this point in the year. Wrong. I shouldered a personal expectation that I would have to follow up the Ironman World Championships in an equally dramatic & arduous race. As ready as I “felt” when I clicked register, my body and mind have been slow to respond. I do place a good about of blame on Mother Nature and the weather she has subjected us to the last month, but the majority of the blame falls on me. Rather than enjoying training as something I love I’ve felt burdened to reproduce similar efforts and race results as in previous years.

Simply put the Ironman was four months ago, and I’m still not back to 100%, physically or mentally. I’m just now realizing that. So what now? Honestly, it’s doing something that is so easy to write about and so much harder to do.  Coming to terms with what I thought I could do and what will probably happen is OKAY! This year has to be about enjoying a run because I can run, or whatever else I choose to do. This year is about training and racing for me and not for the expectations of others.

I’ve shared my journey and speak of it often in the blogs that I’ve posted. Training and competing in Kona was an unforgettable experience and one that has a way of creeping up on me even now. I know there are others out there that have experienced a life event that on a personal level was just as huge as Kona was for me. While I was training I often offered up advice in my blogs. As I sit at my computer fondly looking at where I was and where I am now I’ll offer you another piece of advice. Listen to your mind and body and don’t rush the process. Train, compete, and LIVE for you and ONLY you! The bar will still be there when you’re ready to go for it.

SK

No comments:

Post a Comment