Continuum Performance Center

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

You Want Me to Feel What – Where?!

For most of my training career I have lifted by myself due to a busy life schedule leading to a haphazard training schedule. Recently, I have been lucky enough to begin training with an experienced lifter – and a friend. Entering this new relationship was exciting. I now had access to a trustworthy spot and set of eyes, as well as a lift off whenever I needed it – dreams do come true.
Being solo lifters a majority of the time, we both came in with a high sense of self-regulation as well as the sense that for the most part, we could take care of ourselves. As a creature of habit, I would find myself asking my partner-in-crime “Where’d you feel that?” To my disbelief we usually disagreed, and our foundations of activation as well as cueing were very different.
For example, when completing a lift such as the deadlift, the typical person is thinking about getting this bar up at any cost when at the bottom of the bar – what happens in the middle doesn’t much matter. This training style and belief not only can lead to injuries, but also takes away from why the exercise was prescribed in the first place.
Just now it dawns on me that my buddy is an animal, an absolute beast, a beautiful DISASTER. No one ever took the time to help him get what he truly could out of the exercise with proper cues, and he muscles through weight any way he can. His numbers are impressive, but the movement patterns and pain are not.  
I loved this because I instantly knew we had a lot we could potentially learn from each other. Different points of view are extremely refreshing because no two people will complete the same movement with the same cues as their counterpart. However, the differences in the potential benefits to each exercise and the target areas was concerning. This is a pattern I’ve seen throughout my career, people not paying attention to the exercise and just trying to complete it. No matter the reason, if compensations are sought when completing an exercise, there will be a detrimental effect on the body. That effect can come in the form of decreased athletic performance or injury. Take responsibility of each exercise and be accountable! Get the most out of those early mornings and late nights so you can boast about your awesome glutes – or whatever it is you want! It is achievable; you just have to concentrate on your body. Control the exercise, don’t let the exercise control you!

- Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment