Continuum Performance Center

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Kona or Bust Week 13 – With A Little Help From My Friends

Kona or Bust Week 13 – With A Little Help From My Friends

This past week marked the start of the Competitive Season of my training program. Volume ramps up a bit, but more importantly the intensity at which I work at become more defined within each workout. Some workouts are done at REALLY high intensities for shorter durations, while others are done at lower intensities for LONG durations. I went into this week mentally set on CRUSHING the week and getting myself that much closer to crossing the finish line in Kona with a respectable time. The best laid plans do not always go as you intend.

Time and sleep seem to be the major commodities I seek the most within a work & training week. Demand is high. Supply is low. Over the past few weeks I’ve been following my program to the very last heart rate percent or at least giving it my absolute best effort. I’ve also been running around trying to establish myself in my new professional setting at CPC. Both are endeavors that I care deeply about and want to do EXCEPTIONALLY well at.  I’ve sacrificed sleep to gain more time for work or training. In doing so I’ve neglected the little things and finally had to ask for help.

As an independent, Type A, person it irritates me that I can’t get it ALL done! I even blogged about how important my own time management is in the pursuit of this crazy goal of finishing the Hawaiian Ironman. This week has taught me it is okay to ask for help, lean on the people that are close to you, and allow them to help you even when you don’t ask for help.

With all of that being said, this week’s blog is intended to serve as a THANK YOU to everyone that helped me out this week because … I’ll get by with a little help from my friends.

To my the brave few (Wiltey, Danielle, & Amy Paquette) that answered my call and put their dog walking services to good use. I'm sure Pepper proceeded to introduce you to every bush, tree, lamp pole, fire hydrant in the lower half of Ludlow. 

To Danielle who not only allowed my dog to drag her around Ludlow, but ME too around the SC track the day earlier in 90* heat. That was by far one of the worse and most dreaded workouts to date and we got it done together! I’m not sure I would have even attempted it without you.

To my smoothie maker, Meg, for creating a kick ass smoothie to give me the boost I needed to finish up my UBER long Tuesday. Something tells me she just wanted to make sure I was able to teach the 7pm class with as much enthusiasm as usual.

To the ones that remind me that taking an unscheduled rest day will NOT be the end of the world, and that quality workouts will always trump junk miles.

Stirring up trouble at the Roost in Stowe, VT
And finally to 4 of my closest friends, my Springfield College roommates, Meghan Fredericks, Susan Rafferty, Maureen Slayton, and Katie Whitehead. Our weekend retreat to Morrisville, VT (Moe-Vegas) was just what I needed. The four of you have been by biggest cheerleaders since college. Regardless of how often we see each other I know you are cheering me on from your busy worlds of work and kids. The early morning training wasn’t as bad knowing the four of you and the kiddos would be there to cheer me on as I pulled in the driveway! Well…that and the adult beverages we would inevitably consume later on. :)

For as busy as I am, working with and for others, the time I spend training is pretty lonely. It’s a good feeling to know that at the end of the day I have friends I can lean on for help and support to get through the toughest days and weeks.

Thank you!


SK

No comments:

Post a Comment