Continuum Performance Center

Friday, November 6, 2015

To Be Cutting Edge

I recently attended a conference for operators, and this slide was presented to the group as a question?

cutting edge tool.jpg

My answer was very proudly "Your staff!" I was sure of it. I was corrected by the presenter and told the answer was "your continued education, the constant need to learn and grasp new concepts helping you to evolve as a coach, and BRING that to your clients and your team.” You know what? He was right; however, I wasn't wrong. I can proudly say It's because the CPC team holds each other to a higher standard of education and delivery than what is expected within our field. I'm not using this as an opportunity to talk about how we are the best and most qualified, but as a platform to speak to the point of continuing education and how critical it is in any field. Specifically this one.

Each coach on staff at CPC has, or is currently pursuing, their bachelor's degree (and four coaches with advanced degrees) in health-related fields. Each of us holds a nationally accredited certification and we, the business, only recognize two certifying bodies; ACSM or NSCA.Over the last few years national certifications for trainers and those with their degrees have become more common. I don’t think that this point alone is ground-breaking or what seperates us. In fact we are surrounded by a number of great training facilities (refer to my last blog) that hold their coaching staff to this standard. What I feel truly makes this team as amazing and as dynamic are we are, is how hard everyone continues to push to be their better and never accept complacency. No one ever assumes "This is good as it will be" or "I guess I figured it out". No, they try to turn over every rock until they not only know the material, they can teach it. And not just to their clients but their peers. That’s when you know you have nailed the material - when you can teach your peers. And THAT is one of the many reasons why THIS team is amazing.

What's CPC's role in all this? We foster - and demand! - this kind of environment from everyone equally. We don't just offer our coaches a CEC reimbursement we drive them to use it and to spend that money. It is an expectation of your job that you will attend at minimum one Continuing Education Course each year, and we'll help you get there. What makes CPC’s part in all of that easy is never have to force it. everyone wants it.  

As I began to write this entry, I pulled up the tracking sheet for 2015 and was quite proud of our progress this year. I know I don't have all the information in here such as online articles, webinars, periodicals, etc., but what I do have is that aside from the investment in time and money currently being devoted to higher education institutions we as a team have invested $8,600 in course registrations (exclude travel expense) and 308 hours (just course work) on our CEC’s this year alone! When I refer to the original slide and to my answer “Your team!” I still don't feel I'm wrong. One of the things I am most proud of is the culture of excellence. A well versed, highly educated and hungry team.

CEO and CFO.png

No comments:

Post a Comment