Continuum Performance Center

Friday, July 31, 2015

If you want to smile, you have to stop thinking about yourself

My day-to-day life is crazy. I am constantly trying to balance everything so that I may continue to kick ass at CPC and also lead a "normal" life outside of work but always seem to be thrown a curve ball. Stress is not something I am a stranger to. When I decided to open a business, I knew I was going to be stressed and have to pay my dues.

Tomorrow I ride with some friends. I will be joining a few thousand riders this weekend in the Pan Mass Challenge - a 192 bike ride to raise money for the Dana-Farber Cancer Research facility. I went out for a ride yesterday afternoon just to make sure my bike was working how I wanted and as I peeled away from the mountain of work I had in front of me, and my mind began spinning with the 1000 other things I should be doing with that 45 minutes, I began to smile. Some of the happiest times in my life are making OTHER people smile. It brings me pure joy to do it. Truly. Whether it is getting them a creative gift, sending them a handwritten note, doing something they can't (like riding a bike for those battling cancer), swinging a hammer to build a house, collecting food and supplies for those devastated by Mother Nature -- it doesn't matter. None of the times  I have volunteered has been ideal for me personally or professionally, but I do it because it is not about me. It's about doing something for someone else because you can.

There are many different ways to approach it. Pay it forward, random acts of kindness whatever it may be. If we all start to act a lot more selfless vs. selfish, we will all benefit. We will all be less stressed, smile a whole hell of a lot more and have each others backs. I know I don't do any of this perfectly but for the next 72 hours. I'll be riding my bike because I am physically able, and it is going to make a difference. That pile of work is still going to be there on Monday morning.  

-- Sully

No comments:

Post a Comment