Continuum Performance Center

Monday, January 5, 2015

How To Set Up A Race Schedule

With the new year upon us there is no better time to start planning out your racing schedule for the months ahead. This past weekend I was at the annual Cyclonauts Multisport Banquet to celebrate the year that was, accomplishments made by all, and inquire about the year that will be. The one question I heard asked throughout the night was, "So, what are your racing plans for this year?" Some knew right away with a quick response, "Ironman Mont Tremblant! It's still open by the way."

Thanks but I'll pass for this year.

The majority had no plans at all. It got me thinking. How do I formulate what my race schedule will be for the year? Other than hitting the web for a quick search of what's around there is method to my madness.

For the first time I can say that I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to racing this year. As I mentioned in last week's blog there will be no Ironmans on the calendar this year. However, after racing Kona I want to give the marathon a closer look. I enjoyed training for it. In fact I enjoyed training for the entire event but the reality is I can't do something on that grand a scale this year. 

My methodology to creating a race schedule centers around 5 important considerations.

1. What distances do I want to race this year? I've already mentioned a marathon, and I know I'll put in a half ironman or two. They are a must. Maybe a longer more adventurous race, sprinkle in a sprint and Olympic distance race and my schedule is set. 

2. What race will be my focus race? My A race if you will. Typically I have one per season to direct all of my training around that one date. All other races will turn into B and C races to help me train and gauge my training level for that one race. I'll be honest here every time I toe the line something inside me flips and I can very easily take a C race and turn it into an all out barn burner. Call it Game Face. Call it a lack of control. Call it stupid. Regardless, It happens and I've paid the price. Be smarter than me!

3. Timing is my next consideration. With my A race set I will pick and choose my B and C races to coincide with a window of time that will allow me to taper, recover after the race, and continue to build my fitness. Some people like to race every weekend. I do not. I want to race as well as I possibly can each time I get in the water or lace up my sneakers. I don't enjoy racing in a place that only allows me to give 90% of the 100% I could have given that day. Fatigue and overtraining are real things that sneak up on you quickly. If I don't train smart and give at least 3-4 weeks, maybe more, between races I will be further behind than when I started.

4. Cost. Yes, cost. Triathlons aren't cheap! I dropped $1200 on 2 races last year. Granted they were World Championship races but an Ironman is $600-$700. A Half Ironman is $250-275. These are IRONMAN run races. You get a well run, well supported race but even races of the same distance run by a smaller outfit will still cost you over $100....easy. Next, I consider travel to and from. Food and lodging. Everything adds up. I try to pick one substantial race. That will typically become my A race. Spend the most...train the most. If I have family or friends in or near the area that will help cut the cost of food and lodging also helps me make a decision to race or not. Then there are times when I just say, "Screw It! I need a vacation!", register for a Caribbean Half Ironman that ends up taking me to places and races I never thought I go to and money I swore I'd never spend all to live out a lifelong dream.

5. The last consideration I use is the X-Factor. It could be anything. The beauty of this is that I can decide I'm racing for any reason I want. Maybe I want to use a race as a part of a long weekend/mini vacation. Maybe I had a terrible race the year before and I want to go back and stake my revenge. Maybe I've won the damn thing 2 years in a row and feel compelled to go back and try for a three-peat. Or, maybe I want a new adventure with no expectations other than crossing the finish line.

The above consideration are how I choose my racing schedule for the year. Some of it logical, some of it only makes sense to me. Ultimately, you have to do what's right for you. Take on appropriate challenges, schedule smart, and above all have fun! 

SK 

No comments:

Post a Comment