Continuum Performance Center

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Activity Avoidance - Deadlifts Don't Bite


Most of the active community work towards their goal of being healthy. A healthy lifestyle 
encompasses many different domains, including exercise. The exercise domain can be broken down into resistance exercises, cardio, agility training, and many more. Without even knowing it, you subconsciously sabotage yourselves on your way towards being a well rounded person by avoiding specific exercises. 

“I HATE RUNNING!”

A statement I have heard so many times. Your body is a master at coping and will prefer the type of exercise that you are good at and your body is built for. In most cases, that exercise type or even specific exercise that you DESPISE, is the one that you need to do the most!

Early in my training career I would avoid deadlifts, sometimes on purpose and sometimes 
subconsciously. This effected the benefits I received from the exercise. A year prior, I had 
sustained an injury that, unbeknownst to me, would limit my hamstring strength on that leg. OF COURSE I liked to squat more, I was better at it! It was easier for me. My body knew that and directed me accordingly. This mechanism is the same way that people get hurt every day, through compensations and avoidance of at risk areas. 

This is an easy fix! Hold yourself accountable for your own health. Have someone asses your workout routine or have them develop a program for you altogether. Put the responsibility into the right hands to make sure that you give your body everything it deserves!

No comments:

Post a Comment