Continuum Performance Center

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Copycat is Validation

 
 
It continues to be a point of contention in the fitness industry. “That’s what I do.” Or “That’s my exercise.” Both of which are comical statements to the very core. Honestly how do you possibly claim human movement as “yours”?  Nothing in the fitness industry is proprietary and nothing should be. All coaches chose this career path to help people and better the wellness of those we come in contact with. Why wouldn’t we take the best of what we witness and utilize it in interests of our clients or “subscribers of our method”?
When I am fortunate to meet a fellow professional whom I respect they all share the same basic outlook when it comes to program design… “As long as you can answer WHY you’re doing something then its purpose and prescription is correct”. If all fitness professionals can swallow their insecurities and be willing to share their experiences with others then as a collective we will gain the respect necessary by the medical community to be looked at as prescribed medicine. Unfortunately I believe we are a long way off and we will continue to be looked down upon as those that didn’t make it to medical school and are just wannabe’s.
I obtained my BS in Exercise Science and was considered pre-med due to my course load. This career path was a choice and a damn good one. Every moment of everyday I feel like I am making the world a little healthier vs. slapping a Band-Aid on the symptoms. I am flattered and validated when another professional does something I have done with a client, asks for my help in program design or wants to shadow one of my sessions to learn what “I do”. I can’t change the world alone but I’ll never stop trying. SO If you notice me watching your session please don’t be defensive because I’m not ashamed. I’m learning.



No comments:

Post a Comment